The Struthers Baseball League was organized "to develop athletic skills, to instill a high sense of sportsmanship, honesty, loyalty and respect for authority, to direct boys and girls toward good citizenship". These aims were set forth by the league founders.
The Struthers Little Baseball League evolved from a single team first organized by Mrs. Mary Burns in 1954 and 1955. The team adopted the name "Forty-Niners" in honor of the National Slovak Society who sponsored and financed them. An article placed by Mrs. Mary Burns in the April 30, 1956 issue of the Struthers Journal led to the formation of a baseball league in Struthers. Eight teams in the eight-ten year old bracket originated in 1956. Mr. Bruno Papalia became the first league president, and community businesses and organizations sponsored and financed the teams.
Many a "leaguer" maintained their interest in the sport either as a participant or a spectator.
In 1975 the girl's softball program started. It represented the growing interest in organized girls' sports. It reflects the change in society's attitude and the acceptance of the female in a male sport.
The girl's division organized as part of the boys league in 1975. It consisted of four teams, with girls ranging in age from nine to twelve.
Throughout the years, the league has evolved into one of the premier leagues in the area, not only because of the talent of the players but because of the attitude that is instilled in every player: never give up and always give 110%.
The complex where all the games are played is one of the nicest facilities in the area and we are very proud of it.
The league participates in sanctioned Little League (out of Williamsport, PA) and Pony Baseball (out of Washington, PA) organizations and is a long-standing member of the Pony Tri-T League, where the boys and girls from 13 to 17 participate against other communities in baseball and fast-pitch softball.